Boeing 737 Max blowout 'makes us very humble,' says Airbus CEO

boeing 737 max blowout 'makes us very humble,' says airbus ceo

Airbus CEO Guillaume Faury. CHARLY TRIBALLEAU/AFP via Getty Images

  • Airbus CEO Guillaume Faury commented on Boeing’s troubles on Monday.
  • He said an incident is never good, “whatever the type of plane.”
  • Airbus is exploring a deal with United Airlines following its CEO’s criticism of Boeing, per Bloomberg.

The CEO of Airbus gave a diplomatic response to Boeing’s troubles following the Alaska Airlines blowout.

“This incident makes us very humble,” Guillaume Faury said Monday at the World Governments Summit in Dubai.

“With our competitor and with the rest of the industry, we share the objective of safe flights, safe modes of transport for aviation. So that’s never good when an incident is happening, whatever the type of plane,” he added.

Last month, a Boeing 737 Max 9 operated by Alaska Airlines lost part of its fuselage in midair. Nobody was seriously injured as the plane returned to Portland International Airport 20 minutes after takeoff, but it has sparked scrutiny of Boeing from airline chiefs.

In its preliminary report, the National Transportation Safety Board said the plane left Boeing’s factory missing four crucial bolts. They were designed to secure the door plug, which covers a deactivated emergency exit on Max 9 jets laid out with fewer passengers than the maximum capacity.

It was only luck that meant nobody died, according to Alaska CEO Ben Minicucci. He said just seven seats on the 178-capacity jet were unoccupied, which happened to include those next to the gaping hole.

The CEO of United Airlines, which is Boeing’s biggest customer, then suggested he could change its order following the grounding of 171 Max 9 jets.

Scott Kirby said he was concerned that certification of the 737 Max 10, the largest version of the single-aisle jet, could face further delays. United has 150 such planes on order.

Bloomberg reported that Airbus then contacted some customers to try to free up delivery slots in attempts to make a deal with United.

However, the European manufacturer has been careful not to gloat about its rival’s woes.

Faury said: “We’re just thinking, again and again and again, what should we be doing not to be in that situation? Are we well-protected from events?

“We’re always challenging ourselves on what we do, on what we don’t do, on what we should be doing differently to try to get better, and we take learnings from everywhere,” he added.

News Related

OTHER NEWS

Jimmy Carter and all living former first ladies to attend Rosalynn Carter’s memorial service

Former President Jimmy Carter is expected to attend the Tuesday memorial service for his late wife, Rosalynn Carter, in Atlanta, his grandson told CNN – a tribute that will also be ... Read more »

Rob Reiner to Film ‘This Is Spinal Tap' Sequel in February, Says Paul McCartney and Elton John Will Appear

Rob Reiner to Film ‘This Is Spinal Tap’ Sequel in February, Says Paul McCartney and Elton John Will Appear Forty years after making his directorial debut with the 1984 cult ... Read more »

Best Buy's Biggest Cyber Monday Deals on Samsung TVs, Sony Headphones, and Dyson Vacuums

Plus laptops and more last-minute deals you don’t want to miss People / Jaclyn Mastropasqua We have reached Cyber Monday is officially here, and there are loads of great deals ... Read more »

The Joffre Lakes surge returns north of Pemberton

The Joffre Lakes surge is back, much to the dismay of Pemberton and Mount Currie locals. Video footage shared with Pique shows a long line of cars illegally parked on ... Read more »

Activists calling for Gaza ceasefire begin hunger strike outside White House

Photograph: Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images Leftwing activists including the actor Cynthia Nixon, famous for her role in Sex and the City, have begun a hunger strike outside the White House aimed ... Read more »

We just got a first look at McDonald's secretive new spinoff restaurant CosMc's

A construction site in Bolingbrook, Illinois, presumed to be the first location of CosMc’s. Scott Fredrickson McDonald’s has been reluctant to share many details about its planned new restaurant concept ... Read more »

Conor McGregor’s The Black Forge posts more than $2 million in losses since 2021 opening

Conor McGregor’s The Black Forge posts more than $2 million in losses since 2021 opening Conor McGregor made around a $2 million investment when he purchased the Dublin bar he ... Read more »
Top List in the World