OTTAWA — Repair bills from the cluster of wind storms that pummeled southern Ontario and western Quebec in May are now over $1 billion, and with contractors stretched thin the recovery will last well into next summer.

Damages from May derecho in Ontario, Quebec now top $1 billion

As recovery crews face another colossal restoration job in the aftermath of post-tropical storm Fiona in the Atlantic provinces, the contractors who step in when Mother Nature lays down her wrath cannot keep up.

Kyle Douglas, a co-owner at the recovery contracting firm CRCS DKI in Oshawa, Ont., fit an interview into his day this week in between meetings about whether he had crews or equipment he could send to Atlantic Canada, and negotiations with a company that specializes in booking accommodation and travel for disaster recovery workers.

“We’ve definitely seen a frequency uptick of weather events, ‘cats’ is what we call them in our industry,” said Douglas.

“Cats” is short for catastrophic events. Douglas said it’s not unheard of for disaster recovery crews to go from one event to the next. After a major flood hit Calgary in late June 2013, the industry mobilized to head to Alberta only to be called back a month later, when downtown Toronto was underwater.

Douglas said that is happening more often.

“This is something we got to get our heads around for sure,” he said.

Fiona is believed to be the strongest storm ever to hit Atlantic Canada. The straight line of heavy wind storms that hit Ontario and Quebec on May 21 wasn’t the most intense wind storm in Canada, but it was the first time a storm of that magnitude swept through the most densely populated corridor of the country.

Referred to as a derecho, the storm began around Sarnia, Ont., and travelled more than 1,000 kilometres through to Quebec City over nine hours. It resulted in at least four confirmed tornadoes and multiple downbursts with wind speeds as high as 195 km/h.

At least 11 people were killed, mostly from falling trees as the storm caught many by surprise in the middle of a beautiful Saturday afternoon on the May long weekend.

The recovery costs are still mounting.

The Insurance Bureau of Canada said the insured losses will top $875 million, making it the sixth most-expensive storm for insurance companies in Canadian history.

It affected more than 15 million people, and an estimated 1.1 million homes lost power. More than half of Hydro Ottawa’s customers went dark, and it took more than two weeks to restore everyone.

The utility has estimated it spent about $30 million to repair the grid, but a spokesman said there are still “vulnerabilities” in the system. The utility said it had more than 1,000 unique power outages and had to replace 400 hydro poles.

Hydro-Quebec said derecho damage to its power grid cost $70 million, including replacing 1,125 hydro poles, 400 transformers and 40 kilometres of power lines.

Hydro One, which has more than 1.4 million customers in rural Ontario, reported fixing outages for more than 760,000 customers, replacing 2,500 poles and 500 transformers but hasn’t yet associated a direct cost with the storm.

The City of Ottawa says its storm bill is around $20 million, including damage to municipal buildings, replacing 175 traffic lights and 650 traffic signs. As of September, crews removed 450 uprooted stumps from city property but had more than 2000 more left to go.

There are also individual repairs that aren’t reflected in any of those costs. Like a $5-to-$8 million repair of the heritage building and airport hangar near the Ottawa airport, which is used to welcome foreign dignitaries. The Canadian Armed Forces said it could be up to two years before final repairs are completed, though temporary fixes allowed part of the building to reopen for use last week.

Other bills reported to date include $1.5 million from the city of Kitchener and $3.3 million in Peterborough.

Dave Barton, the mayor of Uxbridge, Ont., said his municipality is still adding up the cost. Along with Ottawa, Uxbridge, a township of about 21,000 people about 70 kilometres northeast of Toronto, took the brunt of the damage from the derecho.

Barton said the recovery “is starting to come together,” though a local church and several apartment buildings were damaged so badly it will be a long time before they are restored.

Damages from May derecho in Ontario, Quebec now top $1 billion
1:50 Power restored to 99 percent of affected residents after derecho

Power restored to 99 percent of affected residents after derecho – May 27, 2022

Douglas said his company spent about 100 days on the emergency repairs in Uxbridge, but is already booked well into next summer to do the final repairs to all the roof damage.

He said the recovery effort was hampered by the same supply chain issues and labour shortages the entire country is suffering from, but he was not expecting the emotional baggage that is coming with it.

“Everyone’s still recovering from the COVID hangover, so there’s a lot of heightened emotions,” he said. “Homeowners and business owners had a pretty rough year of being shut down, told to stay home, reopened, shut down, sent home _ and then their business or houses destroyed. So from an emotional standpoint, this has probably been the hardest one we’ve ever dealt with in the history of our company.”

NEWS RELATED

‘Spam figgy pudding’ sells out ahead of the holidays

They really took the line “Now, bring us some figgy pudding,” seriously. The makers of Spam have introduced Figgy Pudding — a festive twist on the product’s original recipe — right in time for the holidays. But the “limited-time purchase” is apparently so popular, it has already sold out on ...

View more: ‘Spam figgy pudding’ sells out ahead of the holidays

England Seeks Win Over Senegal in 2022 World Cup Round of 16: Here's How to Watch

Here’s how to watch England and Senegal in the knockout round of the 2022 FIFA World Cup:

View more: England Seeks Win Over Senegal in 2022 World Cup Round of 16: Here's How to Watch

France Repeat Quest Begins With Poland in 2022 World Cup Round of 16: Here's How to Watch

Defending champion France enters the knockout stage looking to become the third team to win back-to-back World Cups

View more: France Repeat Quest Begins With Poland in 2022 World Cup Round of 16: Here's How to Watch

Bulls' LaVine, DeRozan, Vučević Must Be Better, Even After Lineup Change

Bulls’ Big 3 must be better, even after lineup change originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago SACRAMENTO — You can make all the lineup changes you want. At the end of the day, the Chicago Bulls’ fortunes will rise and fall with the play of Zach LaVine, DeMar DeRozan ...

View more: Bulls' LaVine, DeRozan, Vučević Must Be Better, Even After Lineup Change

NY Times staffers threaten 24-hour walkout after 20 months of unsuccessful union negotiations

More than 1,000 unionized employees at The New York Times, after 20 contentious months of negotiations, announced plans for a 24-hour job walk-off unless a contract is reached by Dec. 8. “This walkout pledge was not a decision we made lightly,” said the New York Times Guild. “But the truth ...

View more: NY Times staffers threaten 24-hour walkout after 20 months of unsuccessful union negotiations

Lukas Dhont Says Belgium’s Oscar Entry ‘Close’ “Came From A Deeply Personal Place” – Contenders International

A24 Winner of the Grand Prix at this year’s Cannes Film Festival, Lukas Dhont’s follow-up to the transgender drama Girl is another moving study of a difficult adolescence. Speaking at Deadline’s Contenders Film: International award-season event, he described the film as the story of two best friends Léo and ...

View more: Lukas Dhont Says Belgium’s Oscar Entry ‘Close’ “Came From A Deeply Personal Place” – Contenders International

DirecTV And Fox Reach Carriage Renewal, Averting Blackout

Fox Corp. and DirecTV agreed to a multi-year carriage renewal, agreeing to extend talks for several hours beyond the prior deal’s expiration in order to avoid a blackout of several networks. The new agreement covers FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network, Fox Deportes, Fox Soccer Plus, as well as retransmission ...

View more: DirecTV And Fox Reach Carriage Renewal, Averting Blackout

Former top intel chiefs silent after Musk Twitter disclosures

James Clapper and other former intelligence officials were silent after the release of internal Twitter documents detailing how The Post’s bombshell revelations were censored. AFP via Getty Images America’s top former intelligence officials were silent Saturday after the release of internal Twitter documents detailing how The Post’s bombshell revelations ...

View more: Former top intel chiefs silent after Musk Twitter disclosures

DC's Upcoming Blue Beetle Movie Just Dropped Its First Poster And Release Date

Nonreligious voters wield clout, tilt heavily Democratic

World Cup news: Senegal coach Aliou Cisse could miss last-16 clash with England

‘EO’ Filmmaker Jerzy Skolimowski On Lessons Learned From Robert Bresson – Contenders International

Prince Harry’s documentary will contrast treatment of Princess of Wales and Meghan, sources claim

Princess Kate Wears Princess Diana's Emerald Choker for the Earthshot Prize Awards

Despite joy of watching Jacob deGrom’s genius, Mets made right decision

King Curtis was the greatest musician you’ve never heard of

Logan Sargeant's Big Break Has Arrived

Palestinians say killing caught on video was unjustified

Why Remus Lupin From Harry Potter Looks So Familiar

Today in Apple history: World’s first iPad-only newspaper folds

OTHER NEWS

Breaking thailand news, thai news, thailand news Verified News Story Network