French actress Judith Godrèche files rape complaint against famed director

French actress Judith Godrèche has lodged a rape complaint against filmmaker Benoît Jacquot, according to French newspaper Le Monde.

French prosecutors said today that they had opened an inquiry after Godrèche filed a complaint against Jacquot, accusing him of raping her in a relationship that began when she was 14 and he was 39.

Godrèche, 51, accuses Jacquot, 77, of “predation” and “violent rape of a minor under 15 years old committed by a person in authority.”

“The Paris prosecutor’s office has entrusted the investigation to the Juvenile Protection Brigade,” a spokesperson told Variety. “The investigation concerns the offenses of rape of a minor under 15 years old committed by a person in authority, rape, violence by a partner and sexual assault of a minor over 15 years old by a person in authority. The offences were alleged to have taken place between 1986 and 1992.”

The crime is punishable by 20 years’ imprisonment, though the statute of limitations has “probably” expired in the case, Le Monde said.

Jacquot, one of France’s most prominent directors, whose 2013 film Les Adieux à la reine (Farewell, My Queen) won three César awards (the French equivalent of an Oscar), has denied the accusations in comments to the Le Monde newspaper. He told the outlet that their relationship was a “loving” one.

french actress judith godrèche files rape complaint against famed director

Benoît Jacquot Jean-Christophe Bott/AP

Godrèche and Jacquot met in 1986 on the set of his movie Les Mendiants, which was released two years later.

Despite the 25 year age gap, they began a relationship which went on for six years, during which time the actress says she was “in (Jacquot’s) grip.” She also starred in his 1990 film La Désenchantée (The Disenchanted).

“It’s a story like the stories of children who are kidnapped and who grow up without seeing the world and who cannot think ill of their captor,” Godrèche wrote ahead of a hearing, Le Monde reported.

“I would have liked Benoît to agree to be my friend, to not have me, I didn’t want his body. Very quickly, he disgusted me.”

Le Monde reported that Jacquot also forbade her to use any contraception and grew especially violent towards the end of their relationship.

french actress judith godrèche files rape complaint against famed director

Judith Godrèche Charles Sykes/Invision/AP

Godrèche, who has appeared in more than 50 films, including The Man in the Iron Mask opposite Leonardo DiCaprio, told the newspaper: “It’s the first time in my entire life that I cried for myself, for this abused child that I was.”

The actress was among those in 2017 to speak out against US movie producer Harvey Weinstein at the height of the #MeToo movement.

#MeToo has picked up some momentum in France and is forcing fresh debate about sexual violence in French cinema.

The controversy surrounding French actor Gérard Depardieu continues to shake up the world of French culture, with newly released footage of Depardieu making obscene comments sparking an uproar. President Emmanuel Macron said the actor had become the target of a “manhunt” – something which has also sparked heated debate.

Last month, a French court dismissed a sexual assault claim against embattled actor, stating that the statute of limitations had passed.

The charges were filed by actress Hélène Darras last September, and are linked to an incident that allegedly took place in 2007, when Darras and Depardieu were shooting the film Disco. Darras was 26 at the time and an extra on the film.

News Related

OTHER NEWS

Paul Hosford: Helen McEntee's future depends on the streets of Dublin remaining peaceful

Paul Hosford: Helen McEntee’s future depends on the streets of Dublin remaining peaceful The issue of policing in Dublin has been thrown into sharp focus following the horrific stabbing of ... Read more »

Five hospitalised following 'serious' two vehicle road traffic collision

The collision occurred on Monday morning. (stock image) Five people have been hospitalised following a two vehicle road traffic collision on Monday. Gardaí are appealing for witnesses to the collision, ... Read more »

Challenge: Try to find the hidden cat in a very old building

Challenge: Try to find the hidden cat in a very old building (Photo: Reproduction/Reddit) Only people with advanced observation skills can identify the hidden cat in this very old building. ... Read more »

Man arrested following suspected cocaine seizure in Galway worth €56,000

A man has been arrested following a seizure of cocaine with a value of €56,000 in Galway on Sunday evening. Gardaí seized the drugs during a search at a residence ... Read more »

Parkinson's Disease Warning Signs: What To Look Out For

generic doctor image Overview A chronic and progressive movement disorder that initially causes tremor in one hand, stiffness or slowing of movement. Symptoms If you or someone you know is ... Read more »

Man caught with over €1M worth of cocaine in van has jail time doubled in appeal

A man who was caught with over €1 million in cocaine in a “sophisticated” operation where the drugs were hidden in a modified compartment in his van has had his ... Read more »

Fine Gael TD Fergus O'Dowd announces he will stand down after the next General Election

File image of Fine Gael TD Fergus O’Dowd. FINE GAEL TD Fergus O’Dowd has announced that he will stand down at the next General Election. O’Dowd started his political career ... Read more »
Top List in the World